Sunday 14 January 2018

Introduction


Dear Professor Blackstone,




I am writing formally to introduce myself as a student in your class. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in year 2015 with a diploma in Civil Engineering With Business and currently in civil engineering too. One of the reasons why I joined this course is to be a part of everyone’s daily lives. The buildings that people live in and the roads they travel are some of the works of civil engineers. I know for sure that every moment will be different as I tackle interesting problems at work.




Before entering the army, I worked for three months as an accreditation manager for Sea Games 2015. It was my first experience communicating with people from different countries and ethics background. I learnt that even though there was a language barrier, listening with empathy and looking out for non-verbal cues helped me to understand them better. While in army for 22 months, I was a clerk in a HQ camp. This gave me the chance to improve and train my communication skills as I often talked with NSman on the phone to help them with their problems. This taught me to how to be polite and respect the recipients.



I require more practice to overcome my lack of clarity in communication. I have difficulties articulating my thoughts into words and understanding the meaning of words. This causes me to lose confidence when communicating and as often scared to present in front of a huge crowd.




Two goals I have for this module are improving my presenting and writing skills to build up my confidences and help me in my future endeavors.




Thank you for taking time to read this post and I hope you have learnt something about me.


Best Regards,
Colin

Revised:
29 Jan 2018
1 Feb 2018

Commented:

Glen
Roland
Hong Kiat

9 comments:

  1. Dear Colin,

    Thank you for this effort. You have included all the elements required by the assignment in this post. From the explanation I can see that you have lots of rich experience and a deep interest in engineering.

    There are a few language issues that you need to take into consideration as you edit this:


    1) phrasing / sentence structure
    -- I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in year 2015 with a diploma in Civil Engineering With Business and currently in civil engineering too. >>>

    -- everyone everyday life >>> (possessive)

    -- This is part of the reason why I am in civil engineering and I know for sure, every moment will be different in work as new interesting problems will arise. >>> (Punctuate. This should be two sentences.)

    -- This teaches me that even there was a language barrier, listening with empathy and signs of nonverbal communication helps me understanding them better. >>> (sentence structure)

    -- Not only it improved my friendliness, but also teaches me to respect the recipients. >>> (sentence structure)

    -- my weaknesses on communication >>> (collocation) my weaknesses in communication

    -- This cause me to lose confidence in communication and often being scared to present in front of a huge crowd. >>> (sentence structure)

    2) fragment
    -- From the place they stay in, to the roads they travel on.

    3) wrong word form
    -- athletics

    -- endorses

    4) verb tense
    However, my weaknesses on communication which I still could not overcome are clarity and concision. I could not articulate my thoughts into words and not being able to pronounce/read words clearly. This cause me to lose confidence in communication and often being scared to present in front of a huge crowd.

    Let's work on polishing this letter and your skills in general.

    Best regards,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Blackstone,
      I am writing in reply to the comment posted by you on 17 January in my blog.
      Thank you for the guidance and comments given for my post.
      I will correct my mistakes and do my best to improve in my upcoming assignments.

      With thanks,
      Colin

      Delete
    2. Please address me as Brad. If you use only Blackstone, it sounds a bit rude.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colin,
    Strengths
    there is a proper salutation (Dear Professor Blackstone)
    there are examples to illustrate your points
    Weakness
    the sentence"helps me understanding them better." is not correct
    it should be helps me understand them better
    From your classmate,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena

      Thanks for the points, will improve on it!

      Colin

      Delete
  4. Hi Colin,

    It seems like presenting in front of a large crowd is not really something most of us have confidence in. Hopefully after this trimester, through all the presentations we have from the different modules, we will be able to project our thoughts in front of a crowd clearly.

    Overall, your letter is clear in its content and there is proper salutation. However, I have some minor suggestions you could probably look into:

    1) Sentence structure:
    I feel that, since the events you have mentioned happened in the past, past tense should be used. Some ways I would have structured the sentence:

    - “This teaches me that even there was a language barrier….” >>> “This taught me that even though there was a language barrier…”

    - “This gives me the chance to improve…” >>> “This gave me the chance to improve…”

    - “Not only it improved my friendliness, but also teaches me to…”>>>” Not only did I improve the way I interact with others, but it also taught me to…”

    Hopefully my suggestions would be helpful.
    It was an interesting post!

    Cheers,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean

      Thanks for the helpful suggestion!
      Will be working on it.

      Colin

      Delete
  5. Hi Colin,

    Appreciate your effort in writing this clear and concise introduction letter. I hope that through this module you will gradually know how to orientate your thoughts in your mind before they become words. Nonetheless, I would like to make a few suggestions pertaining to your letter.

    Sentence construction:
    Personally, I feel that it I would have change these as follows:

    1) “Before I went into army…” >>> “Before I was enlisted into the armed forces…”
    2) “ every moment will be different in work as new interesting problems will arise” >>> “ every moment will be challenging as different problems will arise”

    All in all, I thought that it was an interesting post that had allowed me to know you better.

    Cheers,
    Roland

    ReplyDelete

Final Report (SIT FC)

1. Introduction According to Meteorological Service Singapore, Singapore is situated near the equator and has a typically tropical clima...