Wednesday 14 February 2018

Interpersonal Conflict

3 years ago, I was working in Sports SG as the accreditation manager for the 2015 SEA Games event. There was an occasion where an athlete coach could not access the event venue at Singapore Indoor Stadium(SIS) with his accreditation pass.  I tried to resolve the issue but failed after many failed attempts as he was not holding the latest version of his pass and the one he was holding is already void. I tried to explain to him why it could not be used, and he needs to collect his latest pass from the HQ office which is just one MRT stop away. He refused to do so while words of anger started pouring out of his mouth. He clearly stated that he was furious about us not giving him the correct accreditation pass in the first place and the fault was ours. He had no time and intention to do all these unnecessary stuffs and insisted me to do something on the spot.
After reading this in my position, how would you handle this situation to resolve this conflict?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Colin. This is a clear and concise problem scenario, though there are some verb tense errors.

    I look forward to your classmates' proposed solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colin,
    I understand your situation. I would have told him that I am sorry for this situation, and I will check with my superior if it is possible to allow your entry this time. However, he is needed to update or collect his latest pass before his next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Colin,
    Thanks for sharing your situation.If I was in your position, I will sincerely apologize to him and ask for forgiven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Colin,

    Thank you for sharing your situation.
    In the scenario, you were patient and calm. I thought that how you managed the situation was pretty firm. As you follow the regulations by not allowing him to enter the premise without authorisation.

    In order to resolve this conflict,I would kindly request for his personal particulars and ask him to wait up for a few minutes while i see what i can do on the administration side. If possible, request a staff to bring down the new accreditation pass. This is to upload the image of our services. Else, apologise once again and insist that he would kindly make a trip down to the HQ to collect the accreditation pass.

    I hope my advice will help you in this situation.

    Cheers,
    Roland Lau

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Colin,
    Thanks for sharing the situation, if I were you I will apologize to him and contact the HQ office to inquire if they can send the pass to the location to ease the collection of pass for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to thank everyone for your suggestion. After reading your suggestions, i believe that checking his identification and allowing him for entry as a temporary solution while requesting for his accreditation pass to be sent over could ease his trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Final Report (SIT FC)

1. Introduction According to Meteorological Service Singapore, Singapore is situated near the equator and has a typically tropical clima...